Legal Resource Center
Know Your Rights
Knowing your legal rights and responsibilities is critical to understanding and solving the internet-law related issues confronting you or your company. This Resource Center is a legal guide for people interested in learning more about common internet related legal issues.
Please keep in mind that this Resource Center is a work in progress and new information and content is in the process of being added.
Legal Claims Based on False Speech
- What is a Defamatory Communication?
- Is it Libel or Slander?
- Can Dead People Be Defamed?
- Defamation of Corporations and Partnerships
- Defamation of Groups or Individual Members
- Can An Opinion Be Defamatory?
- Libel and Slander Per Se
- Liability For Repeating Defamatory Statement
- Proof of Harm Requirement for Liable and Slander Damages
- Is Truth A Defense to Defamation?
- Am I Liable for Republishing Defamatory Statements?
- Defamation-Public Official (or Figure) vs. Private Person
- Consent as a Defense to Defamation
- Defamation & The Defense of Privilege
- False Light
- Business Disparagement
- Tortious Interference with Contractual or Business Relations
- Civil Conspiracy
- Fraud or Misrepresentation
- Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress
Legal Claims Based on Privacy
- Publication of Private Facts (Invasion of Privacy, Intrusion Upon Seclusion)
- Using the Name or Likeness of Another (Intrusion Upon Seclusion, Invasion of Privacy)
- Right of Publicity
- Trade Secrets
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act
- Stored Communication Privacy Act
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act
- Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act